|Title||Women's Foreign Missionary Society (MEC) records, c. 189?-194?|
|Collection||6B Women's Foreign Missionary Society, Minneapolis Branch|
|Scope & Content||
In 1869, Mrs. William Butler and Mrs. Edwin Parker, wives of missionaries to India, were home on furlough. They spoke to a group of eight women in Boston. Mrs. Butler told about the desperate spiritual and physical needs of women in India. A male doctor could not treat women. Schooling for girls was almost non-existent. Single, trained and dedicated women were needed for medical and educational work.
The women who were present called another meeting of women, wrote a constitution, and organized the Methodist Woman’s Foreign Missionary Society (WFMS). By November 1869, the newly formed organization raised funds and sent Isabella Thoburn, an educator, and Dr. Clara Swain, a doctor, to India.
Ms. Thoburn began a school with six young girls in Lucknow. This school expanded to include Isabella Thoburn College, the first women’s college in Asia. Dr. Swain began her medical work, resulting in the establishment of the first women’s hospital in Asia. Both of these institutions are still serving the people of India.
In 1875, Lizzie Hoffman was instrumental in forming the Woman’s Missionary Association of the United Brethren Church. After spending one night praying, she was convinced that the women of the church should be organized for special mission work. Sierra Leone, in Africa, was the first country to which missionaries were sent.
Strong Woman’s Home Missionary Societies were founded in 1880 (Methodist Episcopal Church) and 1890 (Methodist Episcopal Church, South)
In 1879, the Woman’s Foreign Missionary Society of the Methodist Protestant Church was founded; and in 1884, the Woman’s Missionary Society was organized in the Evangelical Association. These groups became powerful, independent women’s organizations, sending hundreds of missionaries all over the world and supporting many projects.
The Ladies Aid Societies, which had existed for many years, were incorporated into the missionary societies in the 1940s. Through reorganization and denominational mergers, these various groups were brought together. In 1973, United Methodist Women became the women’s mission organization of The United Methodist Church. http://www.unitedmethodistwomen.org/about/history
|Creator||6B Women's Foreign Missionary Society|
|Extent of Description||15 cubic foot|
Box 1 dc
Box 2 m flat m/s b
Box 3 dc